Telford man jailed after single punch leads to victim needing brain surgery

By Jordan Reynolds | Ironbridge | Crime | Published:

A man has been jailed after a single punch left his victim needing brain surgery.

Shrewsbury Crown Court where the case was heard

Simon Humphreys, 32, pleaded guilty to grievous bodily harm after the incident outside The Malthouse pub, in Wharfage, Ironbridge, on July 17, 2016.

Mr Michael Aspinall, prosecuting, told Shrewsbury Crown Court that the victim had been out with his friends and the group moved to the beer garden at about 11pm.

He said one of the group knew the defendant, and inside the pub there had been “some sort of difficulty”.

At about 11.15pm door staff escorted Humphreys off the premises, but he “loitered” and returned at about 11.50pm.

The defendant was offended at something said or done and began shouting at the group, said Mr Aspinall.

Door staff again became involved and placed themselves between the defendant and victim’s group.

Minutes later Mr Hood and his party left and went to the roadside to wait for their taxi before they were approached by the defendant and he was pushed away.

Mr Aspinall said: “He was causing difficulties, the door staff became involved separating the defendant, but by 12.30am the following morning this had escalated.


“The defendant was being abusive and intimidating members of the group.

“At some point he was pushed back to move him away from the group. At that he threw a punch hitting the victim in the face, instantly rendering him unconscious with his head hitting the pavement.”

Humphreys was pushed away and subsequently arrested and taken to Malinsgate Police Station, where he said he was hit and knocked to the ground and then got back up.

The victim suffered an extradural hematoma, a broken jaw and a fractured skull.


The hematoma grew and he had to undergo brain surgery.

Mr Aspinall said the victim has a significantly increased risk of developing epilepsy and fulfilled the quality of being disabled after he was discharged from hospital.

In a statement the victim said: “I have suffered a number of injuries and now have a significant scar on my head and in my mouth which affects my speech.

“I was taken away from my wife and two young children for two weeks while I was in hospital.

“I had to undergo 14 weeks of counselling, I often get very emotional for no reason.”

Ms Jodie Smith, on behalf of Humphreys, said he was extremely remorseful for his actions.

“It’s a single blow that then goes on to cause a very significant injury,” she added.

Judge Peter Barrie sentenced Humphreys, of Majestic Way, Telford, to 15 months in prison, of which he will serve half.

He said: “I accept that you didn’t intend to cause that sort of harm to Mr Hood and are remorseful.

“It was a punch that came after a prolonged period when you were behaving in an obnoxious way.”

Jordan Reynolds

By Jordan Reynolds
Reporter - @jreynolds_star

Senior reporter at the Express & Star.


Top stories


More from Shropshire Star

UK & International News