Jailed: Driver led M54 police chase at 100mph in his dad's BMW

By Deborah Hardiman | Telford | Crime | Published:

A driver who was pursued by police for three miles along the streets of Telford and on the M54 has been jailed for 12 months.

Sandeep Chander

Sandeep Chander was clocked at speeds of up to 100mph on the motorway after he was spotted behind the wheel of his father’s BMW by officers in an unmarked patrol car on December 3 last year.

The 33-year-old, who was banned for four years in 2014 for a similar offence, came to the officers’ attention when he was seen accelerating in Wellington. He then sped up when he realised he was being followed.

Mr Kevin Jones, prosecuting, told Shrewsbury Crown Court, Chander drove through red lights at Ketley Brook Roundabout and a further set of red lights at speeds of up to 70mph at the junction of Holyhead Road and Arleston Lane on the B5061 during the incident which happened just before midnight. He also drove along Dawley Road at speeds of up to 80mph.

“The officers estimated that this went on for about three miles. From Wellington he joined the M54 where he drove at speeds of between 90mph to 100mph. It came to an end when he hit the kerb, crashed into the verge and fencing and stopped in a field.

"He got out. The officers believed he was over the alcohol limit, but he refused to provide a specimen. He has not been charged with that."

Mr Jones said Chander had 12 convictions for 38 offences, mostly relating to motoring crimes.


In 2014 he was jailed for eight months for driving whilst disqualified and drink driving. He also failed to resit his driving test.


Footage of the route he took before the car left the carriageway near Wellington was shown in court.

Chander, of Cedar Close, Overdale, Telford, had previously denied dangerous driving and was due to face a trial yesterday, but changed his plea to guilty before the jury was sworn in. He previously had admitted further offences of driving while disqualified and driving without insurance.

Mr Recorder John Freeman said: "This is the kind of driving which inevitably leads to you going straight to prison. Quite a lot of it was on the main roads. Other motorists had to carry out emergency stops.

"You have been quite lucky that you didn't cause an accident.


"You panicked when you realised that there were police officers in the other car."

Chander, a mechanic, was also banned from the road for five years for the offences.

For dangerous driving he was jailed for 12 months, for driving whilst disqualified two months to run concurrently. He must serve half the term minus half the 132 days he spent on tagged curfew while on bail. There was no separate penalty for driving without insurance.

Mr Rupert Jones, defending, said: "This was a dreadful mistake on his part."

Deborah Hardiman

By Deborah Hardiman

Senior reporter for the Shropshire Star based out of the head office in Ketley. Covering the Telford area.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top stories


More from Shropshire Star

UK & International News