Advertising

Pensioner died at second home in Shropshire after fracturing his foot

By Aimee Jones | Clun | News | Published:

A pensioner died unexpectedly at his second home in Shropshire after fracturing his foot while painting, an inquest heard.

Michael John Davies had his foot put in plaster after he fell over on July 5.

The 69-year-old died a month later on August 4 at his second home in Clun from pulmonary thromboembolism - a blocked artery in the lungs - caused by deep vein thrombosis (DVT).

Mr Davies, from Kent, who had been prescribed with anti-clotting injections, went to the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital on July 25 complaining of stomach pain and was seen the following morning by Dr Benjamin Noble.

Dr Noble diagnosed the patient with diverticulitis and said he did not present with symptoms of DVT.

"On the day I saw him he presented with abdominal pain," Dr Noble said.

"He had not had treatment and at the time of my assessment, he told me the pain had more or less settled.

Diagnosis

"His main symptom was pain in the lower left side of his abdomen. He had a full set of blood tests carried out and those tests suggested a diagnosis of diverticulitis - inflammation of the large bowel.

Advertising

"The fact he had a fractured foot did not affect my diagnosis but I did pay attention to the cast and asked him whether he'd had any swelling of the toes. He confirmed he had no symptoms of concern and was mobilising well on crutches."

Mr Davies's family believe he should have been given a scan which would have picked up DVT but Dr Noble said scans are not routinely ordered just because a patient is in plaster.

He also suggested the DVT could have developed in the days after he saw Mr Davies in A&E.

At the inquest at Shirehall, Shrewsbury, assistant coroner for Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin, Joanne Lees, recorded a conclusion of accidental death.

Advertising

She said: "I record that Michael John Davies died on August 4. At the time of his death he was living in Clun after suffering a fall on July 5.

"Mr Davies was found in Clun struggling to breathe. An ambulance was called but sadly Mr Davies was found deceased.

"On the evidence I have heard, I record a conclusion of accidental death."

Aimee Jones

By Aimee Jones
@aimeejones_star

Senior reporter based at the Shropshire Star's Shrewsbury office, covering Shrewsbury, North Shropshire and South Shropshire.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top stories

Advertising

More from Shropshire Star

UK & International News