M54 closed after death of man hit by lorry
The M54 was closed after a man who was hit by a lorry died.
A two-mile stretch of the M6 was closed along with the M54 eastbound between the M6 and Junction 1 for the A460.
Ambulance officials confirmed a man had died at the scene.
Crews were called shortly after 6.15am.
Motorists were advised of the closure with reports of an hour being added to journey times.
Emergency services were called to the scene at Junction 10 of the M6 for Walsall and Wolverhampton.
The motorway was closed between Junction 11 for Cannock southbound towards Junction 10 in the aftermath.
The M54 had been closed for two hours at its link with the M6 through to Junction 1 eastbound.
A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: "Sadly a pedestrian, a man, was confirmed dead on scene.
"Ambulance staff assessed a second patient on scene, the driver of a lorry, but they didn’t require hospital treatment."
An ambulance, a paramedic and a MERIT trauma team attended.
Junction 11 reopened at around 8.30am but Junction 10 remained shut while an investigation got under way.
Highways officers opened all lanes by 12.40pm.
The remaining lanes would reopen later in the day.
Central Motorways Police Group criticised a driver who was travelling on the M6 for filming the scene.
They tweeted: "To the irresponsible driver who was travelling M6 NB through J10 in lane 4 holding their mobile phone up filming the scene on the SB carriageway expect a summons through the post very soon."
- Anyone travelling into Birmingham was advised to leave Junction 10 and re-join on the other side.
- Heavy traffic was reported on the A41 leaving Junction 3 of the M54 through Albrighton and Codsall.
- The A454 Black Country Route was busy eastbound from the M6 at Junction 10 through Willenhall.
- Delays were reported on the A462 through New Invention, Essington, Shortheath and Willenhall.
- Motorists were advised to use the 'solid black diamond' diversion symbol and exit the M6 at Junction 11.
- The M54 was also backed up to Junction 2 for Wolverhampton.
- There are also queues on the A460 and the A462.
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.